The Master of Digital Media program is a limited, competitive entry
program that starts in September every year. The requirements listed below are intended to equal or exceed the general
graduate admission requirements at all partner institutions. These requirements constitute a minimum standard of
achievement and fulfillment of them does not guarantee admission. The Admissions Committee reserves the right to request an interview with an applicant either face-to-face, online or by telephone.
Not sure if your background and experience are applicable?
Minimum Standard Entrance Requirements for the MDM degree
1. Applicants must have completed a 4-year undergraduate degree (or equivalent) acceptable to all 4 CDM Partner Institutions in a field related to digital media, for example:
- Computer science, engineering, education, management, economics, communication, art, design or performing arts, art history, architecture, linguistics, psychology or philosophy.
- Note: If applying from another related discipline, applicants must make the case for the relationship between the discipline in which they hold their previous degree and this program and how they would benefit from the MDM program.
2. Samples of work (Please see our Tips for Prospective Students for more information):
- Five digital pieces that best demonstrate your skills. These items can be one or
more of the following: exhibited art, designs, film or video, computer code (please include and document at least 100 lines of original code that you created), engineering designs or something else that resulted from
your previous work.
- 250 - 500 words summarizing how the items
in the portfolio relate to each other and to your strengths. If an item
is a collaborative effort, please clearly state your role in its
3. Letter of intent (no more than 750 words). The letter should explicitly address:
- Your motivation for selecting this degree program.
- Your relevant skills, training and experience.
- Your proposed interests within the program.
- How the course of study would contribute to your future intellectual or professional growth.
4. Short formal essay (no more than 750 words) about a topic of interest related to digital media.
5. Computer Skills and Literacy Summary Form.
6. Three reference letters, each from a suitably qualified person.
7. Program Survey Form.
8. Resume that includes an overall summary of your professional achievements (no more than 250 words).
Minimum Academic Standards
1. Minimum Undergraduate Grades:
- Minimum overall average in the B+ range (76% or higher) in 3rd and 4th year courses, or:
- Academic standing with at least 12 credits of 3rd and 4th year courses in the A range (80% or higher) in the field of study, or:
- Applicants who hold a 4-year undergraduate degree, who do not meet the requirements stated above, but who have had significant formal training and relevant professional experience may be granted admission on the recommendation of the MDM program.
2. Applicants lacking demonstrated ability in computing may be
admitted on the condition that they take one or more suitable courses but the courses cannot be counted for credit towards the MDM degree.
English Language Proficiency
If applicable, you must demonstrate proficiency in the English language. The MDM admissions committee accepts one of the following proficiency tests:
- Minimum score of 93 in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), with no less than a score of 20 in each category.
- Minimum score of 6.5 on the International English Language Test System (IELTS - the academic NOT the general test) with a minimum of 6.0 in all sections.
- Minimum of 62 in the Pearson Test of English with a minimum of 55 in each category.
Don't meet the English Langauge Proficiency requirements? Consider enrolling in Pre-MDM, a 2 semester program designed to help students whose second language is English prepare for entry into the Master of Digital Media program. Learn more.
How to Apply
For up-to-date, detailed instructions and
information please follow the Admission Process.