SINCE 1959, THE VANCOUVER MARITIME MUSEUM SOCIETY HAS WORKED TO PRESERVE AND TELL THE MARITIME HISTORY OF THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST AND ARCTIC.
The museum opened in 1959 as a provincial Centennial project. In 1972, the Vancouver Museums and Planetarium Association assumed management of the museum on behalf of the City of Vancouver. In 1974, a separate Vancouver Maritime Museum Society was formed. In 1987, the VMPA split into three institutions, with the society board assuming management on behalf of the City. Our staff and Board of Trustees work to improve the museum, create a bright future, and strengthen the connection of our maritime history to the world today.
The Vancouver Maritime Museum Society is a registered non-profit.