Master of Digital Media Program Admission Requirements
The Master of Digital Media program is a limited, competitive entry program that starts in September every year. The requirements listed below are intended to equal or exceed the general graduate admission requirements at all partner institutions.
These requirements constitute a minimum standard of achievement and fulfillment of them does not guarantee admission. The Admissions Committee reserves the right to request an interview with an applicant either face-to-face, online or by telephone.
Minimum Academic Requirements For the MDM Degree
- Minimum Undergraduate Degree
- Applicants must have completed a 4-year undergraduate degree (or equivalent) acceptable to all 4 CDM Partner Institutions in a field related to digital media, for example:
- Computer science, engineering, education, management, economics, communication, art, design or performing arts, art history, architecture, linguistics, psychology or philosophy.
- Note: If applying from another related discipline, applicants must make the case for the relationship between the discipline in which they hold their previous degree and this program and how they would benefit from the MDM program.
- Minimum Undergraduate Grades
- Minimum overall average in the B+ range (76% or higher) in 3rd and 4th year courses, or:
- Academic standing with at least 12 credits of 3rd and 4th year courses in the A range (80% or higher) in the field of study, or:
- Applicants who hold a 4-year undergraduate degree, who do not meet the requirements stated above, but who have had significant formal training and relevant professional experience may be granted admission on the recommendation of the MDM program.
- Note: Applicants lacking demonstrated ability in computing may be admitted on the condition that they take one or more suitable courses but the courses cannot be counted for credit towards the MDM degree
English Language Proficiency
If applicable, you must demonstrate proficiency in the English language. The MDM admissions committee accepts one of the following proficiency tests:
- Minimum score of 100 in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), with no less than a score of 20 in each category.
- Minimum score of 7 on the International English Language Test System (IELTS - the academic NOT the general test) with a minimum of 6.5 in all sections.
NOTE: To accommodate the current COVID situation, online tests are now being accepted. Students can now take the TOEFL home test or the Duolingo online language test. We are temporarily accepting Duolingo scores of 120. Read more about these temporary changes on SFU's website.
Don't meet the English Language Proficiency requirements?
Consider enrolling in Pre-MDM, a 2 semester program designed to help students whose second language is English prepare for entry into the Master of Digital Media program.
How To Apply
For up-to-date, detailed instructions and information please click
Questions about the requirements?
See FAQ on Applying to the MDM program.
Not sure if your background and experience are applicable?
Applicant files will NOT be reviewed until ALL required application materials have been received.