- be current UBC undergraduate students (preference may be given to students in CS programs) with third-year standing or above,
- have completed CPSC 221, CPSC 310, and CPSC 344 with a grade of at least 72% in each by the end of the term before the practicum course plus have an overall average of at least 72%,
- have excellent teamwork skills,
- commit to a 6 credit CPSC 448 with a commensurate workload of about 20-25 hours per week during that term, and
- be available to work the equivalent of two days per week onsite at the Centre for Digital Media. (Specific arrangements subject to their team's mutual consent, but note that the CDM is easily accessible by bus from UBC.)
Useful but optional: more software design background; graphics, vision, or animation background; demonstrated success on team projects; web/mobile development experience; story or game design experience; etc.
We will consider applications from applicants who do not meet a very small subset of the requirements above, but priority will be given to those who meet the requirements. (One requirement is registration on the waitlist: If you are unable to register for the waitlist, please apply at the link below and document your reasons for being unable to register.)
To apply to participate in the next session, please register for the CPSC 491 waitlist via the UBC Student Service Centre and then fill out the UBC Digital Media Practicum Application Form.
Successful candidates will be invited to interview at the Centre for Digital Media.
Applicants will be advised of their status within about 4 weeks from the deadline for applications. Selection will be based partly on fit with the students/projects available at CDM and partly on the applications and possible interviews. We will do our best to match accepted students to projects that best match their career goals (though all projects are relevant to any area in digital media), but we cannot guarantee particular topics, tools, teammates, or other details of the project.