IDEA-X is a one-month intensive program for Canadian and international undergraduate students who want to explore further education and career opportunities in the digital media industry. Students come spend a month with the Centre for Digital Media to learn about the latest tools and processes in the industry and create their own digital solution using cutting-edge technology.
Over the one-month program, students learn about team production, rapid prototyping, collaborative design, project management, and pitching. Design and technology focused workshops are also organized so that students can start learning about production tools such as Unity3D, ARKit, and ARCore.
Why Choose IDEA-X?
The IDEA-X program is a unique opportunity for undergraduate students to familiarize themselves with the digital media world in a fun and immersive way. Upon completion of this course students will be able to:
- Practice collaborative design and team building;
- Define and replicate user-centered design tools and processes;
- Practice rapid-prototyping to solve a given problem over a limited period of time;
- Demonstrate understanding of scope and pipeline management by building digital media products;
- Evaluate the effectiveness of their own product;
- Reflect on own/peer practices through retrospectives;
- Appreciate the equal importance of process and final delivery;
- Create and produce a pitch and a final presentation for prototypes; and
- Demonstrate awareness of industry requirements, needs, as well as emerging technologies.
One of our most recent alumni has been admitted to UBC after her experience at IDEA-X. She is now applying to the
Applicants must be undergraduate students and have at least an intermediate level of English. Preference will be given to third and fourth year students having an interest in digital media. University professors are also welcome to attend.
All courses are taught in English without translation services.
Tuition and Fees
Students will be given instructions regarding the payment of their tuition fees upon enrolment.
Some assistance can be provided in finding accommodation, with the option to secure accommodations through the Homestay Program at a cost of approximately CAD $800 - $1000 each.
All IDEA-X students who have successfully completed an IDEA-X session will automatically receive a $3,000 scholarship if they enrol in the MDM program from September 2019 onwards.
- April 9th to May 3rd
- May 7th to May 31st
- July 9th to August 2nd
- August 6th to August 30th
- October 1st to October 26th
- November 5th to November 30th
- January 14 to February 8
- March 4 to March 29
- April 29 to May 24
- July 8 to August 2
- August 6 to August 30
- September 23 to October 18
- October 28 to November 22
The application deadline for IDEA-X is 60 days before the first day of class.
The Centre for Digital Media
The Centre for Digital Media is owned and operated by four top Canadian post-secondary institutions: University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University, Emily Carr University of Art + Design, and British Columbia Institute of Technology. It was created to support industry and academic collaboration in digital media. Find out more about the CDM here.
Vancouver is a dynamic city and international digital media hub. Vancouver has one of the top video game clusters in the world and has the world's largest VFX and animation hub.
Companies such as EA, Microsoft, Sony Pictures Imageworks and Industrial Light and Magic all have studios in Vancouver. And game companies like Bandai Namco Studios Vancouver and Blackbird Interactive have studios at the Centre for Digital Media.