The Pre-Master of Digital Media Program (Pre-MDM) at Centre for Digital Media (CDM) is a two-semester English for Specialized Purposes program designed to help students for whom English is an additional language prepare for entry into the Master of Digital Media program.
Designed for English as a second language students
This program enhances students’ English communication skills in the Digital Media field for both professional and academic purposes.
Students will engage in workshops and lectures with the goal of building their vocabulary, fluency, and coherence. Students will also build teamwork and project management skills that are directly applicable to CDM’s MDM program and industry.
In this 9-month program, I learned how to express myself, communicate in English, and work effectively with my classmates. This program is more than a language learning experience – it is also a chance to immerse myself in a new learning environment and grow in ways I never thought possible
Liting, Pre-MDM Alumnus
Direct pathway to MDM
Students admitted into the Pre-MDM program receive a conditional offer to the MDM program as qualifying students. Once students graduate from Pre-MDM, they enter the MDM program the following Fall. No additional English language test is required.
Why Enroll in Pre-MDM?
- Strengthen communication and presentation skills, teamwork capabilities, and critical thinking skills.
- Build intercultural communication skills to better work with diverse people
- Gain practical marketing writing skills and the ability to write for social media
- Get English training for Digital Media in an English for Specialized Purposes (ESP) program.
- Learn methodologies and software for rapid prototyping; concept development; pitching, presenting and documentation; pipeline development, integration and asset management; and interaction with industry clients.
Students will simulate real-world client projects, explore Vancouver on field trips to better understand local culture, and engage in conversation clubs. All these experiences will help students develop their English skills in a holistic and well-rounded way.
Fall 2024 Cohort - Open
Admissions close: January 7, 2024
Register for the upcoming Pre-MDM webinar to learn about the program, application process, and to ask our admissions team questions.
Tuition and Fees
Student Fees: $1,137.08
Equipment deposit (refundable upon return of all equipment): $1,500
Total $9,304.08 CAD
Student Fees: $360.01
Total $7,027.01 CAD
TOTAL: $16,331.09 CAD
Note: Student fees are subject to change. They include an all-access transit pass, extended medical and dental insurance, as well as access to SFU's recreation facilities.
Sign up to get the latest updates and news about the Pre-MDM program, including webinars and application timelines